Stage2 is an alternative firmware for KiSS DVD players that makes the player better and fills it with much more cool stuff then the original firmware has. It is based on the original firmware and still uses parts of it.
It all started when MartinB in 2005 got a DP-558 player and ended up being disappointed. That led to a community development of Stage2 firmware.
Why use Stage2 Firmware?
There is a lot Stage2 can do for you.
- This firmware utilized less memory than the original one.
- The FTP server is only started on demand, saves memory and increases stability.
- Complete remote control from you web browser.
- If you have external storage with NFS support you can mount it on your KiSS player, so the player will see it as an internal drive.
- Your player can be used as a Linux server
- You can telnet to your player
- You can create a multiple user environment
- You can protect the FTP server
- You can protect the internal web server
- You can use your player as a KML server
- You can use stream ripper to rip mp3 streams
- You can run fsck to repair the file system on your hard drive
- You can execute CGI scripts from web server
- You can start player in failsafe mode using the front buttons
- You can flash an other firmware without using a CD/DVD
- You can use cron to schedule jobs
- You can use a PDA to use the PDA front page
Work in progress
We are currenly re-organizing the Stage2 pages. Below is a list of the old pages.
- About Overview of Stage2 for DP-558 player
- CPrograms How to write C programs for Stage2
- Download Download and install Stage2 for DP-558 player
- Generic_Stage2_Problem_solving_TIPS_en_SOLUTIONS Troubleshooting Stage2
- Generic_Stage2_Source Intro on used/modified insmod/busybox/preinit (outdated)
- HTMLCode HTML code for Stage2
- Hardware Some infos mainly on PSU (not realy Stage2 related)
- HaserlCode Haserl ?? for Stage2
- HowTo Another page with general hints (not realy Stage2 related)
- Internet_Firmware_Update Stage2 firmware update over Internet via Webconsole
- KMLCode some Stage2 related KML hints
- NFS_path_modify_with_nvram how to configure NFS path on command line
- NFS_server_setup how to set up a NFS server for Stage2
- NVRAM how to dump player's NVRAM (not linked from anywhere)
- OSMods Stage2 extensions (???)
- Requests Martin's call for help
- ShellScripts shell scripts for Stage2
- Sneak_preview_stage2_rh preview on stage2 (for what player???)
- stage2 Main page with links to other topics
- Stage2_dp-558 List of bugs in stage2 for DP558 players (should be moved)
Volunteers are welcome! Just register!